Sunday, 13 November 2016

Genre Research - Comedy

In my project I have decided to go with the genre which I felt most inspired by and felt I could work with: Comedy.

However as I have come to learn throughout my media studies there is more depth than that, to the genre as a whole.

Some of the sub-genres of comedy are:

Alternative Comedy -

Comedy feautering a mixture of all the others listed below, often used when there is no specific direction to the comedy.

Black Comedy / Blue Comedy -

Most often deal with disturbing subjects and can be viewed as controversial, some of the topics used are: Death, Drugs, Terorrism, Sexism, Racism and Homophobia sometimes it can be traced back to the horror genre.

Character Comedy -

Comedy based on a persona made up by a performer, often based heavily on stereotypes.

Cringe Comedy -

A form of comedy based upon embarassing or awkward actions, makes use of innapropiate timings and innapropiate words.

Deadpan Comedy -

Not alaways recognised as style of comedy, but in a nutshell its just a character telling jokes but with no emotion or facial expressions.

Mockumentary -

A parody using the conventions of documentary style.

Slapstick -

Exaggerated physical comedy which typically exceeds normal physical activity.

Observational Comedy -

Pokes fun of everyday life, and often done by inflating the trivial things.


No comments:

Post a Comment